A stately mansion built by Moses Hayden around 1823, Bethany House is located on the northern tip of the Abbey's land about a mile and a half from the abbey. Surrounded by a spacious, shaded yard it is a solid cobblestone structure in the architectural style of Greek Revival. It is said that the stones were collected along nearby Salt Creek and were carefully graded for uniformity by passing them through a bettle ring.
The Abbey acquired the property in the late nineteen fifties from the Gilmore family and used it for a priests' retreat house for several years. Recently remodeled it is now a family guest house. When it is not in use by the families of the monks it is available for group retreats.
The house is comprised of two separate units that can be used by two separate groups or together for a single large group. The first unit, which includes the first and second floors, consists of a large fully-equipped kitchen, dining room, two spacious parlors, one bedroom and bath, and a sun porch on the first floor. The second floor contains five bedrooms with 15 single beds and four bathrooms. There are sofa/pullout beds in each of the parlors on the first floor providing beds for a total of 18 people.
The second unit, on the third floor, has a kitchen, one bedroom with two single beds, another bedroom/sitting room with two single beds, and a bath providing beds for 4 people. This unit is accessed through the first floor hallway of the first unit.
Both units combined provide beds for 22 people.
To check on the availability of dates or to make reservations and travel arrangements contact Fr. Jerome by e-mail at Guest master or telephone Kathe, Retreat House Manager, at 585-243-2220 or by writing:
Abbey of the Genesee
Piffard, NY 14533
No pets please. In consideration of those coming after you suffering from allergies no pets are allowed at any of our guest houses.